Kal-El

Article: Nvidia's Kal-El Goes Asymmetric
By: Joe (no.delete@this.thank.you), October 19, 2011 10:39 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
Thanks for covering this. It's an interesting approach that deserves more attention, particularly when actual silicon is in hand and we can see just how smart it is wrt getting the right load onto the right core.

Presumably the projected 2+1 variants are likely to be aimed at smartphones, rather than the full 4+1 under discussion here?

I do wonder about the precise configuration nVidia picked, though. When I first heard about it, a 2+2 arrangement seemed to make more sense to me. Not as big a step up from Tegra 2, granted, and no "first high performance quadcore" bragging rights, but given the state of software in its lifespan, how much real use will those extra cores get? Even just a pair of high-performance cores would show improvement over the past generation, and the smaller die size would help nVidia with yields and costs. Meanwhile, having a pair of low-power cores eases any contention from multiple background tasks (or multi-threaded low-intensity tasks). But I admit I have very little to guide my intuition here, so maybe I'm over-estimating those low-intensity loads.
 Next Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Kal-ElJoe10/19/11 10:39 AM
  Kal-Elbakaneko10/19/11 11:04 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell blue?