Beg Cadence

By: dmcq (dmcq.delete@this.fano.co.uk), April 17, 2017 2:14 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
slacker (s.delete@this.lack.er) on April 15, 2017 3:55 pm wrote:
> Anon a mouse (no.delete@this.thanks.com) on April 15, 2017 7:44 am wrote:
> >
> > I've heard there are various avenues via partnerships (or giving up equity) to acquire required EDA tools.
>
> I told the big 3 companies, "we have no money, but we'd like to use your software." They
> all looked at me like I was crazy. I explained that, once we received venture funding,
> we'd be able to negotiate paying contracts. However, we'd only get funding if we had
> a working design in simulation, and that meant we needed access to EDA tools.
>
> I had to convince the sales people - who work on commission - that what I was proposing was reasonable.
> If they gave us access to tools for free today, there was a good chance we'd be able to pay for the tools
> later on. If they refused, then our business wouldn't go anywhere, and the salespeople would never make
> a sale. It was an expected value calculation draped in a language that a salesperson could accept.
>
> The strategy worked. When we had very little money, we didn't pay anything for most tools.
> Once we signed a venture capital deal, we started paying quite a bit (but still a negotiated,
> discounted rate). Some companies were a lot more flexible than others. For example, we needed
> Mentor Calibre for foundry sign-off, but we couldn't get access to it for free at all. Licensing
> in 1-month increments is common, but I was so frustrated with them that I insisted on licensing
> in weekly increments. I dropped the license as soon as tape-out was complete.
>
> I suspect a lot of it comes down to the individual sales agent/team you are dealing with, and the particular
> relationship you have with them. For example, I attended a conference where I met the head of analog
> design at a larger, profitable semiconductor company. I asked him about his dealings with EDA vendors.
> He said he had a give-and-take relationship with the sales people. When his department wasn't doing
> very well (financially), he'd ask the sales people to cut him a break. When his department had a lavish
> budget, he'd buy licenses that he didn't really need to make the sales person happy.
>
> Try asking this question on Deepchip.

How it's done - I like the negotiation at the end ;-)

How do you plead?
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
EDA tool access for semi-startupsAnon a mouse04/15/17 07:44 AM
  Beg Cadenceslacker04/15/17 03:55 PM
    Beg Cadencedmcq04/17/17 02:14 AM
      Beg Cadenceslacker04/17/17 04:59 PM
        :D (NT)Ricardo B04/17/17 07:44 PM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic: