intel processor performance

Article: Inside Nehalem: Intel's Future Processor and System
By: Exophase (exophase.delete@this.gmail.com), February 18, 2011 7:40 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
Andy Lee (andy_leejohor@hotmail.com) on 2/18/11 wrote:
---------------------------
>hi...i was a colledge student from Malaysia....
>i would like to ask some question about intel processor..
>
>1)different between intel netalem, i7, i5, i3, and core2 duo..based on theirs performance...power
>costing...n their special place.
>
>2)when intel netalem gonna start selling? any idea about netalem price?
>
>3)y intel next processor does not named as i9 ?
>
>that all. thanks you n hope reply soon.

Hi Andy,

"Nehalem" (not Netalem) is a codename for the successor to Core 2 (specifically, the 45nm "Penryn"). It represents a "tock" on Intel's progression, meaning that it's a microarchitecture modification. The "tick" that followed it, ie the die shrink from 45nm to 32nm, is codenamed Westmere. In other words, it was released a long time ago (2008) and has been superseded by two releases since.

Intel uses Xeon, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, Pentium, and Celeron model categories to segment its processors. They've been doing this for a long time, although the designation moved from "Core 2" to "Core iX" starting with Nehalem. These differ in features like core clock speed, memory/FSB clock speed, core counts, thread count (Hyperthreading capability) and L3 cache size.

So it doesn't make sense to call a new processor design Core i9, but Intel could redistribute its market segmentation to include a new Core i9 category (or any other name). There's already a Core i7 Extreme so it's not that far off.

There are tables here that show how the differentiation works, in addition to TDP and price, for Nehalem and Westmere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29

And for Sandy Bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_bridge

< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
intel processor performanceAndy Lee2011/02/18 05:01 AM
  intel processor performanceExophase2011/02/18 07:40 AM
    intel processor performanceAndy Lee2011/02/20 05:09 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic: