A bit about yourself [OT]

Article: Analysis of Haswell's Transactional Memory
By: David Kanter (dkanter.delete@this.realworldtech.com), February 27, 2012 1:40 pm
Room: Moderated Discussions
Moritz (better@not.tell) on 2/26/12 wrote:
---------------------------
>I found the personal off-topic content in the introduction strangely interesting.
>"I was the co-founder of Strandera, a start up ..."
>First I thought, interesting to know what these respected >distant Internet-people do off-line.

Well I got involved with Strandera through RWT to some extent. I also consulted for a few other start ups in related areas. I will probably update my bio when the new site design is out.

>Then
>"A while back, my friend and colleague Andreas Stiller reported ..."
>I was like wait, Andreas Stiller as in as@heise an author in my favorite computer
>magazine (c't) from my home city of Hannover in Germany? >Must be, unlikely there are that many in this field.

Indeed, the same Andreas Stiller. Andreas and I are quite friendly, because there are not many people who really deeply understand computer architecture. C't is a great magazine because the staff is fairly sophisticated.

Andreas and I were recently in Portland and then flew to San Francisco together - we spent much of the time discussing transactional memory.

>Reading your Authors description I find that you care for economics. Although not
>formally educated in the field of macroeconomics I took deeper interest in it with
>the 2008 events.

When I was at the University of Chicago, I was much more interested in micro-economics than macro. My feeling was that micro was well understood and the models seemed to work, whereas that wasn't the case for macro.

>One of my general fascinations is how complexity arises from simple
>rules and many agents and how people are incapable of dealing with large systems
>coping by making it a conspiracy or what I find similar God, ghosts, ect.(because
>both are reductions to a single(human) entity, which people are used too.). Even
>money-flow is difficult for most, it seems to disappear all >the time, especially in government.

>Putting something off-topic on the page is inappropriate, but are you active in
>that area on some other site? My favorite blog and forum >about it closed some time
>ago and I have not come across a similar level of discourse >since.

Nope, I don't really read forums about economics. Unfortunately, those who really understand economics are not often posting online. I do read a few blogs though.

>I hope I did not cross some line. I try to read and enjoy >quietly/leave the posting
>to the more experienced, but it is hard not to get exited >when you find smart people.

That's OK. It's also good you posted in this forum, since I rarely look at the unmoderated forum.

David
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
A bit about yourself [OT]Moritz2012/02/26 02:29 AM
  linkMoritz2012/02/26 02:40 AM
  A bit about yourself [OT]David Kanter2012/02/27 01:40 PM
    Reply L2Moritz2012/03/01 02:20 PM
  A bit about yourself [OT]lemuel2012/05/18 02:22 PM
  A bit about yourself [OT]kk2013/06/06 02:37 PM
  A bit about yourself [OT]Oliver S.2019/08/13 12:58 AM
    A bit about yourself [OT]David Kanter2019/08/13 08:55 AM
Reply to this Topic