How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?

By: Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org), November 8, 2018 4:12 pm
Room: Moderated Discussions
For those who don't know, Apple's newest phones support dual-SIM (which we'll simplify as meaning a physical SIM and an eSIM in the same phone).
The thing I find of especial interest is that BOTH of these can be simultaneously active.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
So (to give a simple example) you can two different numbers both of which can ring.

Now dual-SIM is not new to Apple. However my understanding (if I'm wrong, that's the point of this post) is that in earlier incarnation the user manually toggled which SIM was active, eg when moving from one location to another.

If I'm correct (and I make no claims as to that...) it suggests that Apple perhaps collaborated with Intel to make some (perhaps minor, but nonetheless real) mods to their modem so that it is able to operate in some sort of "dual" mode whereby it's able to listen out for two "heads up, this packet is for you" over-the-air IDs, rather than just one. And that in turn is interesting in terms of such questions as how Apple and Intel are COLLABORATING, rather than Intel simply selling what's more or less a commodity to Apple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_SIM
covers some of the options in some detail, but I can't tell from that whether Apple is simply at the same level as what Wiki calls the "Active" type, or whether Apple is actually at a more sophisticated level (eg using only a single transceiver but, like I said, sniffing for two IDs).
In particular, the Wiki page (and the uses I am aware of) seem very much lost in the mists of history, back when people actually cared about voice. The models that appear to be of primary interest to Apple, in contrast, have to do with data (like having no number, but a data plan, associated with the eSIM --- in principle this allows for things like you are traveling, and using a local data plan, but IF someone calls your US number your phone will ring [and of course you will pay roaming charges or not, depending on whatever your agreement with your US carrier is]) and I don't know if Apple is there advancing the state of the art.

Next Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/08 04:12 PM
  How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Simon Farnsworth2018/11/08 04:43 PM
    How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/09 04:41 AM
      How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?anon2018/11/09 08:13 AM
        How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/09 08:59 AM
      How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Doug S2018/11/09 11:59 AM
        How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Simon Farnsworth2018/11/09 01:45 PM
  How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Adrian2018/11/09 09:56 AM
    How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Adrian2018/11/09 10:55 PM
      How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/10 07:06 AM
        How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Brett2018/11/10 12:35 PM
          How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/10 02:12 PM
            How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Doug S2018/11/11 01:06 PM
              How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?Maynard Handley2018/11/11 01:39 PM
                How does dual-SIM work on non-iOS?anon2018/11/11 03:06 PM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell green?