Microsoft goes deterministic

By: Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org), April 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Room: Moderated Discussions
Simon Farnsworth (simon.delete@this.farnz.org.uk) on April 20, 2019 11:53 am wrote:
> Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org) on April 20, 2019 11:10 am wrote:
> > Robert Williams (crispysilicon.delete@this.gmail.com) on April 19, 2019 1:21 pm wrote:
> > > Express Logic acquisition
> > >
> > > I'm actually kind of interested to see how this affects their product stack.
> >
> > There's a bizarre lack of thought here regarding the total business plan.
> > I don't know if MS et al are doing background negotiations or what. BUT
> > today, as far as I can tell, the cheapest way I can get a cellular IoT connection is through an additional
> > Ting line, and that will cost me $6/month per device. That's $72 a year. And that's for a device that's
> > using a physical SIM, the carriers apparently will still not allow the MVNOs like Ting to use eSIMs.
> >
> > So $72/year/device. Quite a bit more with a non-MVNO. And yet consultants are rhapsodizing
> > about billions of these devices, ie multiple per person in the US. I don't see it.
> > In the home, where they can leach off WiFi, sure. But outside the home (so wearables, portables, car,
> > sports/hiking equipment, ...) to me it looks like this market will remain still-born until someone
> > throttles the existing carrier business model. And I don't see that on the immediate horizon.
> >
> > Fi seems to have throttled back its ambitions. MS and Apple seem uninterested in getting into the MVNO
> > business. The particular circumstances that allowed Apple to force a (let's not forget, extraordinarily
> > beneficial agreement for the ENTIRE industry) by strong-arming Cingular no longer seem to exist?
> > MAYBE Apple could force an equivalent sort of deal with Sprint, but Apple is not really the issue.
> > An Apple deal might get a better arrangement for the eSIMs in Apple Watches and iPads, but it doesn't
> > solve the real issue, all those other IoT devices, and all the business models that can't be born
> > because they would rely on a low-bandwidth and very cheap cellular connection...
> >
>
> You're looking in the wrong places for IoT SIMs - while most M2M SIM providers keep exact
> pricing confidential, you're talking much larger numbers than Things Mobile quote for a
> global roaming SIM, and Things Mobile are not the cheapest I'm aware of by a long shot.
>
> But, using Things Mobile's numbers, a SIM is free with €10 of service credit top-up, or €2.50
> if you want a SIM without commitment. Every month, you either need to not use the SIM for mobile
> data, or you pay for at least 2 MB of data (at rates of €0.10/MB in the USA/Canada/EU/Japan/China/Russia,
> €0.20/MB in India/South Africa, going up to €0.50/MB for Brazil). SMS costs you €0.02 to
> send to your SIM from their portal, and €0.10 when sent from their SIM.
>
> Realistically, therefore, at current exchange rates, $3 gets you an IoT SIM for use globally,
> and your SIM costs you $0.25/month to keep alive and in use, going us as you use more
> data. If you're expecting to be at this for a while (or using more than a mimimum of
> data), you prepay around $12 towards future usage, and get the SIM for free.

Interesting.
I went to what appears to be the clearest page:
https://www.thingsmobile.com/private/shop
but I still honestly have no idea what I am buying.

Suppose I buy the physical SIM. What EXACTLY am I buying, ie why do they stress that it is an IoT solution? I get that I'm buying no voice, no SMS, just data, but beyond that it's a more or less universal data-only SIM, that I could in principle pop into my phone? The catch being that the data rates are actually rather high (even by US standards!) if you want to use more than IoT sized doses of data?
Which is fine, I'm not complaining, that's exactly what an IoT solution needs --- very baseline fees, and high data usage fees.

I guess bottom line is that solutions like this need to become well-known in tandem with a growth in IoT devices. But I am glad you mentioned this to me; it may become useful over the next year!
It will be amusing indeed (and I certainly will regard it as a wonderfully poetic outcome) if the end result of this is that the entire US lands up paying a European company for IoT services because the US telcos were all too greedy/incompetent to create plans appropriate to this market.
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/19 01:21 PM
  Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 11:10 AM
    Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/20 11:53 AM
      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 05:06 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicJukka Larja2019/04/20 10:36 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/21 04:33 AM
    Microsoft goes deterministicTravis Downs2019/04/20 03:50 PM
      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 05:24 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicTravis Downs2019/04/20 07:16 PM
          Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 10:47 PM
            Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/21 05:33 AM
            Microsoft goes deterministicJose2019/04/21 05:43 AM
            Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/22 08:12 AM
              Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/22 02:34 PM
                Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/23 02:39 AM
                  Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/23 09:52 AM
                    Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/23 01:04 PM
                    Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/23 03:31 PM
                      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/23 03:53 PM
                        Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/24 02:00 AM
                          Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/24 09:24 AM
          Microsoft goes deterministicgreenbluered2019/04/22 09:20 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell green?