Microsoft goes deterministic

By: Simon Farnsworth (simon.delete@this.farnz.org.uk), April 21, 2019 5:33 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org) on April 20, 2019 10:47 pm wrote:
> Travis Downs (travis.downs.delete@this.gmail.com) on April 20, 2019 7:16 pm wrote:
> > Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org) on April 20, 2019 5:24 pm wrote:
> > > Travis Downs (travis.downs.delete@this.gmail.com) on April 20, 2019 3:50 pm wrote:
> > > > I don't know if you're looking for cellular data or voice
> > > > / SMS, but assuming you mean data Google Fi will give
> > > > you 10 data-only SIMs for free, on top of one fully functional (voice, SMS) on the $20 a month account.
> > > >
> > > > Data is $10/GB, billed to the cent.
> > >
> > > Fi is just too freaking painful to deal with. It was painful on Google phones, and
> > > way beyond that on non-Google phones. My brother tells me the Pixel pain has (mostly)
> > > finally ended, but it's still not worth the hassle on a foreign phone.
> > >
> > > Nice idea IN THEORY, and maybe it will be wonderful when someone else
> > > introduces the same idea with more attention paid to UI issues?
> > >
> > > I understand that there are teething pains here for everyone, and I can't
> > > tell where they are (in the modem, in the carrier, in the phone OS, probably
> > > all three) -- I've given my rant already about using an Apple eSIM.
> > >
> > > So maybe the honest answer is
> > > - Fi is now great (even in a random non-Google device) and I should try again?
> > > - everyone else (Things Mobile, Apple eSim, etc) will also be great in two years; and until
> > > then, don't bother unless you really enjoy debugging and rebooting your devices?
> > >
> > > Hmm, well just tried my Fi SIM again and, just like most times I tried over the past two years,
> > > no connectivity. OK, some googling, more voodoo changing APNs and suchlike, reboot the phone,
> > > we have a (SLOW... -- and this is in Los Angeles, not middle of nowhere) connection.
> > > Like I said, still not ready for prime time, even in 2019.
> >
> > I'm only a sample size of one, but I haven't had any issues using Fi data-only SIMs in a variety of devices
> > (Android, iPhone and iPad) across ~15 countries. It is
> > definitely slow sometimes but I assume this is purely
> > a function of whoever the underlying carrier is at a location,
> > e.g., if Fi roams with Telmex in Mexico I would
> > expect performance to be the same as any other Telmex SIM
> > in that location, which is sometimes bad for a variety
> > of reasons beyond your control. Most IOT devices aren't expected to be data hogs anyways?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean about UI, IMO it has the best UI I've seen from any provider I've used.
> >
> > Yes, you have to set the APN once - that's SOP, no?
> >
> >
>
> I’ve found that switching carriers is really dodgy. Cross a border and then
> the fun starts. Do I have to wait an hour? Reboot? Fiddle with the APN?
> Happens across almost every border (ie telco) crossing and I STILL have no idea what the
> best case scenario is (ie when everything is working correctly, how fast/seamless should
> this be), and how can I approach that best case scenario? Is it just a fact of life that
> in a place like Europe you should expect to reboot your phone on every border crossing?

FWIW, this isn't an issue I've faced with my Android handsets in Europe; the initial crossing is slow, as the device finally accepts that it's got to roam because it can't find its home network any more, but once I'm roaming, switching across telcos is quick and near-transparent (when the device is idle, it's the same experience as changing cell site at home), even while driving or on a train, and the same APN is used as at home.

No need to reboot, although data sessions and voice calls usually drop on a change of network, resulting in a brief blip in Spotify as I recover data access, or a need to redial a call.
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/19 01:21 PM
  Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 11:10 AM
    Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/20 11:53 AM
      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 05:06 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicJukka Larja2019/04/20 10:36 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/21 04:33 AM
    Microsoft goes deterministicTravis Downs2019/04/20 03:50 PM
      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 05:24 PM
        Microsoft goes deterministicTravis Downs2019/04/20 07:16 PM
          Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/20 10:47 PM
            Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/21 05:33 AM
            Microsoft goes deterministicJose2019/04/21 05:43 AM
            Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/22 08:12 AM
              Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/22 02:34 PM
                Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/23 02:39 AM
                  Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/23 09:52 AM
                    Microsoft goes deterministicRobert Williams2019/04/23 01:04 PM
                    Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/23 03:31 PM
                      Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/23 03:53 PM
                        Microsoft goes deterministicSimon Farnsworth2019/04/24 02:00 AM
                          Microsoft goes deterministicMaynard Handley2019/04/24 09:24 AM
          Microsoft goes deterministicgreenbluered2019/04/22 09:20 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell green?