Apple keyboard design and tech failure

By: itsmydamnation (no.delete@this.way.com), May 6, 2019 2:27 pm
Room: Moderated Discussions
Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org) on May 6, 2019 9:29 am wrote:
> foobar (foo.delete@this.bar.com) on May 6, 2019 12:10 am wrote:
> > Dummond D. Slow (mental.delete@this.protozoa.us) on May 5, 2019 4:56 am wrote:
> > > David Hess (davidwhess.delete@this.gmail.com) on May 5, 2019 3:03 am wrote:
> > > > If a keyboard is designed for casual users who are not expected to make great use of it,
> > > > then reliability is not a requirement. That it looks stylish is all that counts.
> > > >
> > > It breaks perhaps in a many as 30 % of cases. The Reddit guy thinks the keys will probably fail in most
> > > of the machines or that it might just be a matter of time. If even a light user gets repeat/missed keys
> > > (and has to cover $800 replacement once or twice over say 5 years of use), how is that fine? It's a design
> > > flaw that might be worthy of complete recall IMHO. It feels wrong to me to sell stuff like that when you
> > > know it is so prone to expensive failure. I guess I lack the generosity of a proper consumer customer.
> > >
> >
> > I bought a 15" Macbook Pro 2016 right away when it was available. I'm not a particularly
> > big on typing (less than 10000 keypresses per day?), but it seems that the keyboard
> > fails every 14 months or so. I have had it now replaced twice.
> >
> > I would be fed up with it if I had to pay $800 for replacement part and work, but thankfully
> > I bought the laptop as a consumer in EU and Apple has apparently taken (at least here) a stance
> > of free replacement pretty much everything that breaks on consumer MBPs without clear misuse
> > or wear that can be actually considered typical for a product of this price bracket. Yay for
> > EU consumer protection! Getting a new battery as an extra once a year doesn't hurt...
>
>
> The same is essentially true in the US. The legal details differ, the practical outcome not so much.
>
> https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/
>
> It’s a generally useful principle that when a story appeals just a little bit too much
> to you pre-existing prejudices (whether of the US or of Apple, or of politics or companies
> in general) it’s probably untrue and you should first check the details.

The fact you need a program, Eligible Models , etc says it all.
Consumer law in my country is the warranty terms mean sweet fa, what was the cost of the device and what is an acceptable lifetime of the device, doesn't matter what the failure is(so long as you didn't damage it). A 3-5k laptop will fall into a 3 yearish range, you could try an argue 5 years given that isn't uncommon life time for devices in the corporate world.

Apple have been penalised for breaches of consumer law around warranty in my country.
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Apple keyboard design and tech failureMaynard Handley2019/05/02 12:21 PM
  Apple keyboard design and tech failureDavid Hess2019/05/05 03:03 AM
    Apple keyboard design and tech failureDummond D. Slow2019/05/05 04:56 AM
      Apple keyboard design and tech failurefoobar2019/05/06 12:10 AM
        Apple keyboard design and tech failureMaynard Handley2019/05/06 09:29 AM
          Apple keyboard design and tech failureitsmydamnation2019/05/06 02:27 PM
            Apple keyboard design and tech failureMaynard Handley2019/05/06 04:23 PM
              Apple keyboard design and tech failureDummond D. Slow2019/05/07 07:42 AM
                Apple keyboard design and tech failureMaynard Handley2019/05/07 10:26 AM
                  Apple keyboard design and tech failureDummond D. Slow2019/05/08 08:18 AM
      Apple keyboard design and tech failureDavid Hess2019/05/08 04:58 PM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell green?