benchmarks...

By: Maynard Handley (name99.delete@this.name99.org), May 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Room: Moderated Discussions
Doug S (foo.delete@this.bar.bar) on May 16, 2019 1:10 pm wrote:
> Chester Lam (lamchester.delete@this.gmail.com) on May 15, 2019 4:51 pm wrote:
> > If Apple brought a 4 GHz A12X-like CPU to the desktop market,
> > they might get some decent market share. We can dream right?
>
>
> Why? How big do you think the market is of "people who need more performance on the desktop"?
> You say it doesn't make a difference for mobile because performance is already "good enough"
> there, but I'd argue performance on the desktop has been "good enough" for over a decade.
> Desktops got a huge jump in real world performance by switching to SSDs, for most people
> that difference was more noticeable than if they had a CPU clocked at 20 GHz.

That's short-sighted. SW and HW move together. No-one's writing anything that needs 2x today's performance to be useful because it's a hell of a gamble that that 2x (single-threaded) performance will be available soon.

Our desktops are certainly nothing close to what an IDEAL desktop would be. For example, I should be able to query my desktop "what was that article I read a while ago about how brain predictive coding provides models for autism and schizophrenia" and get something useful.
This requires a lot more than just today's searches (local or web). It requires, eg, constant tracking and remembering of everything I'm interacting with (local and remote documents), some natural language understanding, maybe even constant eye tracking to see which parts of each document I found especially useful.
And sure, part of what's needed for this to really work is on the NN side (ie specialized HW, not generic CPU), and part is larger faster storage. But it may well also need a faster CPU tying it all together.

(Yeah, yeah, we all understand that half of you see this and immediately starting throwing out words like privacy and intrusive and big brother. Whatever.
*I* want something like this. You can substitute whatever it is you want your computers to do, which primarily appears to be playing video games at higher quality.)
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Intel's roadmapLaurent2019/05/13 07:37 AM
  Intel's roadmapAlberto2019/05/13 08:44 AM
    Intel's roadmapblue2019/05/13 09:26 AM
    Intel's roadmapMaynard Handley2019/05/13 10:04 AM
      Intel's roadmapAdrian2019/05/13 12:15 PM
      Actually not bad for IntelChester Lam2019/05/14 04:26 PM
        Actually not bad for IntelMaynard Handley2019/05/14 05:33 PM
          Actually not bad for IntelChester Lam2019/05/14 07:52 PM
            Easily, just grab the LN2... (NT)blue2019/05/14 09:41 PM
            Actually not bad for IntelMaynard Handley2019/05/14 10:32 PM
              Application mattersChester Lam2019/05/15 02:15 AM
      Intel's roadmapAlberto2019/05/15 06:58 AM
        Intel's roadmapnone2019/05/15 07:25 AM
        Intel's roadmapChester Lam2019/05/15 07:32 AM
          Sh*** is Sh** foreverAlberto2019/05/15 07:47 AM
            Sh*** is Sh** forevernone2019/05/15 08:05 AM
              benchmarks...Chester Lam2019/05/15 08:33 AM
                benchmarks...none2019/05/15 09:09 AM
                  benchmarks...Chester Lam2019/05/15 03:51 PM
                    benchmarks...Doug S2019/05/16 12:10 PM
                      benchmarks...chester lam2019/05/16 02:20 PM
                        benchmarks...Doug S2019/05/16 02:28 PM
                          benchmarks...chester lam2019/05/16 03:00 PM
                            benchmarks...Doug S2019/05/17 02:39 AM
                              benchmarks...Chester Lam2019/05/17 03:54 AM
                                benchmarks...Doug S2019/05/17 10:52 AM
                                  because per-core perf has stagnatedchester lam2019/05/17 12:55 PM
                                    because per-core perf has stagnatedNathan2019/05/17 01:54 PM
                                      because per-core perf has stagnatedAdrian2019/05/17 09:39 PM
                                        because per-core perf has stagnatedchester lam2019/05/19 05:32 PM
                                          because per-core perf has stagnatedAdrian2019/05/19 08:09 PM
                                            because per-core perf has stagnatedFoo_2019/05/19 11:58 PM
                                              because per-core perf has stagnatedMichael S2019/05/20 12:48 AM
                                                because per-core perf has stagnatedAdrian2019/05/20 02:12 AM
                                                  because per-core perf has stagnatedMichael S2019/05/20 03:23 AM
                                                    because per-core perf has stagnatedMichael S2019/05/20 06:07 AM
                                                  because per-core perf has stagnatedAdrian2019/05/20 03:28 AM
                                                    because per-core perf has stagnatedMichael S2019/05/20 06:15 AM
                                                  because per-core perf has stagnatednone2019/05/20 03:41 AM
                      benchmarks...Maynard Handley2019/05/16 03:35 PM
                        benchmarks...dmcq2019/05/20 07:15 AM
                    benchmarks...Maxwell2019/05/16 09:47 PM
            Sh*** is Sh** foreverAnon2019/05/15 08:43 AM
    Intel's roadmapDoug S2019/05/13 12:24 PM
      Intel's roadmapwumpus2019/05/14 06:52 AM
      Intel's roadmapAlberto2019/05/15 07:10 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell green?