POWER is irrelevant and obsolete

By: Dummond D. Slow (mental.delete@this.protozoa.us), August 1, 2020 10:24 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
Doug S (foo.delete@this.bar.bar) on July 31, 2020 10:31 pm wrote:
>
> You're ignoring software and dev instructure which POWER has in spades, while RISC-V is new
> on the scene. As Linus has pointed out, those places where it lacks may be acceptable to self
> flagellators in the embedded world, but would be less tolerated in the smartphone world if
> e.g. Qualcomm was looking for somewhere new to land if Nvidia poisoned the ARM well.

Does it? POWER has less optimizations in multimedia codebases for example than ARM and there wasn't similar broad push for server software tooling as ARM has, so I'd say it might actually be disadvantaged in servers now compared to ARM, although it technically was in them first. And mobile, well, 0 ability to go there, currently - MIPS would have a better position to return to android phones.

Isn't most of that software and dev infrastructure actually stale or targetting obsolete platforms, today? Power for example is in processs of making LE Linux the goto platform which it wasn't in its heyday, so old macos era software doesn't need to apply and non-Linux IBM software is also not relevant.
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
ARM "for sale"anonymous22020/07/23 12:51 PM
  This can be a bad thingHeikki Kultala2020/07/23 02:31 PM
    This can be a bad thingDoug S2020/07/23 03:10 PM
      This can be a bad thingBrett2020/07/23 03:46 PM
        This can be a bad thingblaine2020/07/23 04:10 PM
          This can be a bad thingBrett2020/07/23 10:47 PM
            Same thing could be said of ARM not that long ago (NT)blaine2020/07/24 12:13 PM
              Same thing could be said of ARM not that long agoMaynard Handley2020/07/24 01:00 PM
        This can be a bad thingDoug S2020/07/24 12:19 PM
          This can be a bad thingBrett2020/07/24 02:49 PM
            This can be a bad thingGabriele Svelto2020/07/24 03:00 PM
              This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/24 04:23 PM
                This can be a bad thingJukka Larja2020/07/25 02:03 AM
                  This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/25 11:17 AM
                    This can be a bad thingJukka Larja2020/07/26 01:56 AM
                      This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/26 11:19 AM
                This can be a bad thingGabriele Svelto2020/07/26 02:11 PM
                  This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/26 02:58 PM
                    This can be a bad thingGabriele Svelto2020/07/27 08:38 AM
                      This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/27 10:57 AM
                      This can be a bad thingDoug S2020/07/27 01:11 PM
            This can be a bad thingDoug S2020/07/24 03:32 PM
              This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/24 04:28 PM
            This can be a bad thingWilco2020/07/24 03:54 PM
              This can be a bad thingBrett2020/07/24 08:47 PM
    This can be a bad thingBeastian2020/07/23 06:29 PM
      This can be a bad thingMaynard Handley2020/07/23 11:33 PM
        This can be a bad thingMichael S2020/07/24 01:36 AM
          This can be a bad thingdmcq2020/07/24 04:41 AM
            ARM vs RISC-V in the low end.Heikki Kultala2020/07/24 06:38 AM
              ARM vs RISC-V in the low end.Michael S2020/07/24 06:51 AM
              ARM vs RISC-V in the low end.wumpus2020/07/24 12:49 PM
                ARM vs RISC-V in the low end.dmcq2020/07/24 02:12 PM
                  MIPSanon2020/07/24 09:05 PM
                    PowerPCanon2020/07/25 04:35 AM
                    MIPS - open no more?anon2020/07/25 04:41 AM
                    MIPSdmcq2020/07/25 07:19 AM
                    RISC-V is just fixed MIPS Heikki Kultala2020/07/25 08:57 AM
                      No! RISC-V is just fixed SPARCanon2020/07/25 11:22 AM
                        No! RISC-V is just fixed SPARCMichael S2020/07/25 02:11 PM
                      RISC-V is just fixed MIPS Michael S2020/07/25 02:17 PM
                        RISC-V is just fixed MIPS Wilco2020/07/26 06:04 AM
                          RISC-V is just fixed MIPS anon2020/07/26 10:39 AM
                            RISC-V is just fixed MIPS Wilco2020/07/27 12:44 PM
                              M-extension is a standard and implemented by everyone. Ignoring it is straw man argumentationHeikki Kultala2020/07/27 02:25 PM
                                MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsWilco2020/07/28 05:29 AM
                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsBrett2020/07/28 06:44 AM
                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsWilco2020/07/28 10:35 AM
                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMichael S2020/07/28 11:42 AM
                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsDoug S2020/07/28 10:08 AM
                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsblaine2020/07/28 10:59 AM
                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsWilco2020/07/28 12:10 PM
                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsDoug S2020/07/28 01:58 PM
                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMaynard Handley2020/07/28 03:23 PM
                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMarcus2020/07/29 01:59 AM
                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsDoug S2020/07/29 09:40 AM
                                        MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMarcus2020/07/29 10:36 AM
                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/07/29 09:50 PM
                                        MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsanon22020/07/29 10:33 PM
                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsTREZA2020/07/30 02:40 AM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsanon22020/07/30 03:37 AM
                                          Addressing modesJouni Osmala2020/07/30 04:44 AM
                                            That it does not suck in ALL cases doews not make it better. It's still very clearly inferiorHeikki Kultala2020/07/31 06:43 AM
                                              That it does not suck in ALL cases doews not make it better. It's still very clearly inferiorJouni Osmala2020/08/01 01:36 AM
                                                That it does not suck in ALL cases doews not make it better. It's still very clearly inferiorAdrian2020/08/01 04:23 AM
                                                  That it does not suck in ALL cases doews not make it better. It's still very clearly inferiorJouni Osmala2020/08/01 06:53 AM
                                                    That it does not suck in ALL cases doews not make it better. It's still very clearly inferiorAdrian2020/08/01 11:28 AM
                                                      RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Jouni Osmala2020/08/01 08:20 PM
                                                        RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Adrian2020/08/01 10:58 PM
                                                          RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Adrian2020/08/01 11:26 PM
                                                            RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. anon2020/08/01 11:54 PM
                                                              RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Doug S2020/08/02 02:01 AM
                                                              ARMv8 has pre- and post-incrementing /decrementing address modes (NT)Heikki Kultala2020/08/02 02:33 AM
                                                              RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Wilco2020/08/02 02:38 AM
                                                                RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. sr2020/08/02 04:03 AM
                                                                  RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Michael S2020/08/02 04:28 AM
                                                                  RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Maynard Handley2020/08/02 10:47 AM
                                                                RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. anon2020/08/02 10:17 AM
                                                                  RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Wilco2020/08/02 01:02 PM
                                                                  RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Maynard Handley2020/08/02 04:48 PM
                                                            RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Maynard Handley2020/08/02 10:15 AM
                                                              RISC-V ISA can use same optimization strategy as well. Jouni Osmala2020/08/03 02:13 AM
                                            Addressing modesMarcus2020/07/31 10:41 AM
                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsLinus Torvalds2020/07/30 04:34 PM
                                            The reason for RISC-V to exist.Jouni Osmala2020/07/30 08:52 PM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsanon22020/07/30 09:19 PM
                                              Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapHeikki Kultala2020/07/31 05:59 AM
                                                Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapanon.12020/07/31 06:24 AM
                                                Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapEtienne2020/07/31 06:31 AM
                                                  Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapHeikki Kultala2020/07/31 06:48 AM
                                                Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapanon22020/07/31 06:31 AM
                                                  Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapHeikki Kultala2020/07/31 07:32 AM
                                                    Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapanon22020/07/31 05:31 PM
                                                  Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapMarcus2020/07/31 11:12 AM
                                                    Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapanon22020/07/31 05:40 PM
                                                      Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapLinus Torvalds2020/08/01 11:44 AM
                                                        Not all memory ops are loads to integer(address) registers. And those addressing modes are cheapLIZ2020/08/02 05:16 AM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsKonrad Schwarz2020/07/31 06:46 AM
                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/07/30 11:23 PM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMichael S2020/07/31 03:03 AM
                                              RISC-V, or any other ISA, the real missing instruction.Etienne2020/07/31 04:56 AM
                                                RISC-V, or any other ISA, the real missing instruction.Etienne2020/07/31 05:35 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAnon2020/07/31 06:44 PM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMichael S2020/07/31 03:21 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsKonrad Schwarz2020/07/31 06:59 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/07/31 10:52 PM
                                                MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMichael S2020/08/01 11:11 AM
                                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/08/01 01:22 PM
                                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAnon E Mouse2020/08/01 03:35 PM
                                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAnon E Mouse2020/08/02 12:38 PM
                                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMaynard Handley2020/08/01 03:47 PM
                                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMaynard Handley2020/08/01 01:23 PM
                                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/08/01 01:51 PM
                                                      MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMaynard Handley2020/08/01 03:53 PM
                                                        PDP-11 ManualTerry A Gray2020/08/01 04:29 PM
                                                        MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/08/01 10:14 PM
                                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsKonrad Schwarz2020/08/04 11:11 AM
                                                    MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsMichael S2020/08/01 02:40 PM
                                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/08/01 01:38 PM
                                            RIP POWER?j2020/07/31 01:16 PM
                                              RIP POWER?nobody in particular2020/07/31 02:10 PM
                                                RIP POWER?j2020/08/01 01:43 AM
                                                  RIP POWER?anon2020/08/01 03:35 AM
                                                    RIP POWER?j2020/08/01 04:52 AM
                                                      RIP POWER?anon2020/08/01 03:27 PM
                                                        RIP POWER?Michael S2020/08/01 03:32 PM
                                                          RIP POWER?anon2020/08/01 03:57 PM
                                                            RIP POWER?Michael S2020/08/01 04:14 PM
                                                              RIP POWER?anon2020/08/01 04:37 PM
                                                  RIP POWER?Gabriele Svelto2020/08/02 01:21 PM
                                                    RIP POWER?Michael S2020/08/02 01:46 PM
                                                      RIP POWER?Gabriele Svelto2020/08/03 01:36 PM
                                                    RIP POWER?j2020/08/03 11:45 PM
                                                RIP POWER?TREZA2020/08/01 05:34 AM
                                                  RIP POWER?anon2020/08/01 11:28 AM
                                              RIP POWER?Doug S2020/07/31 02:38 PM
                                                POWER is irrelevant and obsoletepower skeptic2020/07/31 09:19 PM
                                                  POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteDoug S2020/07/31 10:31 PM
                                                    POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteDummond D. Slow2020/08/01 10:24 AM
                                                      POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteMaynard Handley2020/08/01 01:37 PM
                                                        NVidia's options to harm ARM are limitedDoug S2020/08/01 02:43 PM
                                                          NVidia's options to harm ARM are limitedme2020/08/02 07:31 AM
                                                            NVidia's options to harm ARM are limitedDoug S2020/08/02 12:27 PM
                                                  POWER is irrelevant and obsoletenobody in particular2020/08/01 10:17 AM
                                                  POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteMichael S2020/08/01 11:26 AM
                                                    POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteKonrad Schwarz2020/08/04 10:39 AM
                                                      POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteGabriele Svelto2020/08/05 02:52 AM
                                                        POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteKonrad Schwarz2020/08/05 05:45 AM
                                                          POWER is irrelevant and obsoleteGabriele Svelto2020/08/05 10:43 PM
                                        MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsKonrad Schwarz2020/07/31 06:22 AM
                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsLinus Torvalds2020/07/31 12:47 PM
                                          MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/07/31 11:22 PM
                                            MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirssr2020/08/01 02:26 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAnon2020/08/01 02:36 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsWilco2020/08/01 03:04 AM
                                                MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsdmcq2020/08/01 04:20 AM
                                                  MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsWilco2020/08/01 07:02 AM
                                              MIPS fixed its mistakes, no evidence RISC-V is fixing theirsAdrian2020/08/01 05:01 AM
                                                Addressing mode foundational papersJonathan2020/08/02 08:23 PM
                                                  Addressing mode foundational papersAdrian2020/08/02 11:36 PM
                                                    Addressing mode foundational papersTREZA2020/08/03 05:28 AM
                                                      Addressing mode foundational papersMaynard Handley2020/08/03 10:14 AM
                                                      Addressing mode foundational papersgallier22020/08/04 12:39 AM
                                                    Addressing mode foundational papersJonathan2020/08/03 06:49 AM
                                                      Addressing mode foundational papersAdrian2020/08/04 01:56 AM
                                                        Addressing mode foundational papersMaynard Handley2020/08/04 10:06 AM
                                                          Addressing mode foundational papersAdrian2020/08/04 11:25 PM
                                                    Addressing mode foundational papersLinus Torvalds2020/08/03 10:39 AM
                                                      Addressing mode foundational papersAdrian2020/08/03 11:20 PM
                                                    Addressing mode foundational papersdmcq2020/08/04 10:43 AM
                                                      Addressing mode foundational papersdmcq2020/08/04 02:15 PM
                  ARM - NVidia?dmcq2020/08/01 03:52 AM
                    ARM - NVidia?Adrian2020/08/01 05:28 AM
                      ARM - NVidia?Yoav2020/08/03 04:22 AM
                        ARM - NVidia?Maynard Handley2020/08/03 10:31 AM
                        ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/03 12:00 PM
                          ARM - NVidia?ano body2020/08/03 04:32 PM
                            ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/03 08:21 PM
                              ARM - NVidia?ano body2020/08/03 09:56 PM
                                ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/04 12:15 AM
                                  ARM - NVidia?ano body2020/08/04 02:09 AM
                                    ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/04 11:05 AM
                                      ARM - NVidia?Maynard Handley2020/08/04 12:49 PM
                                        ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/04 01:34 PM
                                          ARM - NVidia?ano body2020/08/04 02:42 PM
                    ARM - NVidia?Andreas2020/08/04 03:20 AM
                      ARM - NVidia?Doug S2020/08/04 11:13 AM
                        ARM - NVidia?Adrian2020/08/04 11:41 PM
                          ARM - NVidia?Michael S2020/08/05 01:15 AM
                          ARM - NVidia?Andreas2020/08/05 01:41 AM
                            ARM - NVidia?TREZA2020/08/05 04:10 AM
                              ARM - NVidia? RISC-VKonrad Schwarz2020/08/05 05:39 AM
                                ARM - NVidia? RISC-Vdmcq2020/08/05 06:28 AM
                                  ARM - NVidia? RISC-VMichael S2020/08/05 06:47 AM
                                    ARM - NVidia? RISC-VDoug S2020/08/05 03:40 PM
                                      ARM - NVidia? RISC-VMichael S2020/08/05 03:49 PM
                                ARM - NVidia? RISC-VMaynard Handley2020/08/05 10:06 AM
                                  ARM - NVidia? RISC-VHeikki Kultala2020/08/06 12:17 AM
                                licencing fees of making SoC for small businesses - RISC-V vs ARM - Flexible AccessHeikki Kultala2020/08/06 12:27 AM
                          ARM - NVidia?Beastian2020/08/05 02:51 PM
      This can be a bad thingBeastian2020/08/05 02:27 PM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell purple?