but what about copyright

By: Adrian (a.delete@this.acm.org), April 10, 2022 3:53 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
hobold (hobold.delete@this.vectorizer.org) on April 9, 2022 12:01 pm wrote:
> Adrian (a.delete@this.acm.org) on April 9, 2022 9:39 am wrote:
> [...]
> > Nevertheless, if it were accepted that the descriptions of the prior art in patents are not fair
> > use, then there are millions of existing patents which would become copyright infringing.
>
> There is a difference between
> - describing something in one's own words, citing a source of the concepts
> (no copyright involved at all)
> - quoting a source in their words, with attribution
> (fair use)
> - copying a source in their words, without proper attribution
> (plagiarism)
>
> There won't be any legal claims in this particular case, because Dr. Ian Cutress wants
> to work with the industry as an analyst, not against it. And AMD won't sue because they
> don't know how many such skeletons they might have forgotten in their own basement.
>
> It just doesn't look good when a company, in trying to secure governmental protection
> of their own intellectual property, is sloppy with the IP rights of third parties.


I have already said in another message, after I have read that patent and including the number of the patent, so you can verify it, e.g. at pat2pdf.org, that all the sources were properly attributed, so, as you say, this was a normal case of fair use.

Otherwise it would have been a clear case of plagiarism.

When I have first read about that Twitter message, on the Anandtech site, I have also thought that this is plagiarism, until I have read the patent and I have seen that is just normal fair use.

Neither AMD nor Dr. Ian Cutress would sue, because there are no reasons for suing, not because of a quid pro quo.

The article that I have seen on the Anandtech site had already been deleted a couple of hours later in that day, presumably because someone had realized that all was a stupid mistake of whoever posted the message on Twitter, and not because of some Intel pressure.

I strongly despise many Intel policies, but in this case the critique was completely baseless.






< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentphoson2022/04/06 08:03 AM
  Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentzArchJon2022/04/06 10:20 AM
    Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patent---2022/04/06 10:34 AM
      Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentanon2022/04/06 11:42 AM
        Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patent---2022/04/06 02:49 PM
      V-way-stylecache for compression and tag-only inclusionPaul A. Clayton2022/04/07 12:12 PM
        V-way-stylecache for compression and tag-only inclusion---2022/04/07 12:58 PM
  Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patent---2022/04/06 10:21 AM
  Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentaaron spink2022/04/06 05:31 PM
    Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentDoug S2022/04/06 10:45 PM
      Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentDoug S2022/04/06 10:53 PM
        Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentAdrian2022/04/07 05:45 AM
          The one who twitted does does not know to read patents.Adrian2022/04/07 05:55 AM
            The one who twitted does does not know to read patents.me2022/04/07 10:15 AM
              The one who twitted does does not know to read patents.Anon2022/04/08 12:53 AM
              The one who twitted does does not know to read patents.Adrian2022/04/08 03:49 AM
            but what about copyrighthobold2022/04/08 03:44 AM
              but what about copyrightAdrian2022/04/08 04:00 AM
                but what about copyrightAdrian2022/04/08 04:10 AM
              but what about copyrightaaron spink2022/04/09 05:28 AM
                but what about copyrightMatt Sayler2022/04/09 07:27 AM
                  but what about copyrightAdrian2022/04/09 09:39 AM
                    but what about copyrighthobold2022/04/09 12:01 PM
                      prior artanonymou52022/04/09 07:19 PM
                      but what about copyrightUngo2022/04/09 11:06 PM
                      but what about copyrightAdrian2022/04/10 03:53 AM
      Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentblaine2022/04/08 01:52 PM
        Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentanon22022/04/08 06:41 PM
        Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentaaron spink2022/04/09 05:31 AM
          Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentblaine2022/04/11 10:06 AM
            Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentMatt Sayler2022/04/13 10:34 AM
            Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentaaron spink2022/04/14 02:18 AM
            Intel directly copies Zen presentation for Ocean Cove patentanon22022/04/14 10:26 PM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell tangerine? 🍊