New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV

Article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV
By: --- (---.delete@this.redheron.com), June 14, 2022 8:58 am
Room: Moderated Discussions
Adrian (a.delete@this.acm.org) on June 13, 2022 10:42 pm wrote:
> --- (---.delete@this.redheron.com) on June 13, 2022 9:11 pm wrote:
> >
> > The distinction between contacts and layers is a reasonable point, but is it significant?
> > Is there an interest/important reason why it's more difficult to create a layer of cobalt traces
> > than to create short vertical contacts of cobalt? I guess there is *some* difference given that
> > tungsten has frequently been used for these sorts of plugs, but I'd love to know the full story.
>
>
> The distinction is very significant.
>
> Already since the beginning there were speculations that the cobalt interconnections
> may have a too large resistance, and that TSMC might be wiser by using cobalt
> only for contacts, instead of using it for traces, like Intel.
>
> This has been confirmed now by the Intel presentation, where the figure comparing the interconnection metals
> used in Intel 4 and Intel 7 shows good reliability but bad resistance for the cobalt interconnections.
>
>
> A cobalt contact has a small resistance, because it is very short and it is also wider than its length.
>
> A cobalt trace on the other hand, introduces a much greater resistance, because it is long and narrow.
>

So your argument would be not that cobalt traces were difficult to fab, but that they behaved too poorly? That's logically consistent, but seems like something that should have been caught a *lot* earlier! So much about this whole episode we just don't know.
< Previous Post in ThreadNext Post in Thread >
TopicPosted ByDate
New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVDavid Kanter2022/06/12 06:05 PM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVDylanP2022/06/12 08:52 PM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVRohit Garg2022/06/12 11:59 PM
    New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVAdrian2022/06/13 12:35 AM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVAdrian2022/06/13 12:50 AM
    New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVanonymou52022/06/13 05:21 AM
      New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVAdrian2022/06/13 06:32 AM
      New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV---2022/06/13 09:47 AM
        New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVMichael S2022/06/13 10:20 AM
          New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV---2022/06/13 08:11 PM
            New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVAdrian2022/06/13 09:42 PM
              New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV---2022/06/14 08:58 AM
                New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVAdrian2022/06/14 11:06 AM
                  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVanonymou52022/06/14 08:25 PM
        New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVDavid Kanter2022/06/13 06:26 PM
          New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUV---2022/06/13 08:08 PM
  Power and Frequency Improvement of Intel 4Sean M2022/06/13 02:28 AM
    Power and Frequency Improvement of Intel 4Adrian2022/06/13 04:27 AM
  Cong is dead, long live eCungMichael S2022/06/13 03:47 AM
  foundry nodesMichael S2022/06/13 04:13 AM
    foundry nodesRayla2022/06/13 04:56 AM
      foundry nodesMichael S2022/06/13 05:20 AM
        foundry nodesRayla2022/06/13 06:24 AM
      foundry nodesanonymou52022/06/13 05:26 AM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVFred Chen2022/06/13 07:38 AM
    New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVDavid Kanter2022/06/13 08:41 AM
      New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVFred Chen2022/06/13 05:11 PM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVBjörn Ragnar Björnsson2022/06/13 08:08 AM
    New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVanonymou52022/06/13 10:50 AM
    New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVBill K2022/06/14 12:58 AM
      [quibble] Yield is not determined by size alonePaul A. Clayton2022/06/14 11:27 AM
        You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!Mark Roulo2022/06/14 12:56 PM
          You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!me2022/06/14 05:11 PM
            You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!anonymou52022/06/14 08:44 PM
              You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!John2022/06/15 03:34 PM
                You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!anonymou52022/06/15 06:09 PM
          You can always add redundancy ... it is only money!Paul A. Clayton2022/06/16 12:04 PM
        [quibble] Yield is not determined by size aloneBill K2022/06/14 01:52 PM
          Yield vs function...Björn Ragnar Björnsson2022/06/14 03:20 PM
            Yield vs function...Bill K2022/06/14 04:33 PM
              Yield vs function...tacobell2022/08/06 04:51 AM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVanon2022/06/21 08:59 AM
  New article: Intel 4 Process Scales Logic with Design, Materials, and EUVtacobell2022/08/06 04:39 AM
Reply to this Topic
Name:
Email:
Topic:
Body: No Text
How do you spell tangerine? 🍊